On the 21st April 2019, the Easter Sunday attack took place around the country by suicide bombers. Firstly, these explosions brought death to 359 people including 45 children and 39 foreigners. Secondly, more than 500 people are injured. Moreover, the government hospitals are providing medical treatments to them. In addition, there are 29 people in the ICU of General Hospital, Colombo.
The people who are being injured by the Easter Sunday attack are treated at the following hospitals;
- General Hospital Colombo
- Negombo District General Hospital
- Ragama Hospital
- Kalubowila Hospital
- Batticaloa General Hospital
Locations where explosions took place;
There were 8 explosions happened in the Easter Sunday attack around the country. But, authorities said that the main targets were churches and luxury star hotels.
- Kochchikade Church
- Katuwapitiya Church
- Batticaloa Church
- Shangri-la Hotel in Colombo (5 star)
- Kingsbury Hotel in Colombo (5 star)
- Cinnamon Grand Hotel in Colombo (5 star)
- Dehiwala (Near Dehiwala Zoo)
In addition, the ministry of Health declared that, 85% of the total bodies released to the relatives.
ISIS claims the resposibility of the Easter Sunday Attack in Sri Lanka
After 2 days from the incident, the ISIS claimed the responsibility of the Easter Sunday Attack in Sri Lanka that killed over 350 people. However, the state intelligence service of Sri Lanka believes that the Easter Sunday attack was done by a group called as ‘National Thawheed Jamaath’. Furthermore, the SIS reported that, these terrorists have got the training from the ISIS. For instance, the ISIS released below mentioned photo of suicide bombers on 23rd April 2019.
Major mistakes by local authorities;
Most importantly, it is revealed that, the authorities of Sri Lanka has been failed to take necessary actions in order to stop this disaster. Moreover, the Indian RAW has informed to the SIS prior to the Easter Sunday attack.
Above picture of the letter proves that, the state intelligence service has informed to the relevant authorities about the Easter Sunday attack since 04th April 2019. Therefore, if the government was able to take necessary actions before the attack, it would spare those 359 lives.
Key actions by the Sri Lankan government;
- The Sri Lankan government has gazetted the Laws on the Prevention of Terrorism under Emergency Regulations on 22nd April 2019
- Provided necessary authorizations to the police and the three armed forces to ensure the safety of the public
- Universities remained closed until further notice
- Government schools remained closed until 29th April 2019
- Took more than 40 suspects to the custody
- Found and defused bombs around the country
Meanwhile, the American government has sent FBI agents in order to find and arrest the terrorists that still remain in the island.
- Total death count – 359
- Injured – 500+
- Suspects arrested – 40+
- Tourists deaths – 39